Fiance visa - success

Immigration topics relating to unmarried/civil partnerships, same sex marriages, or cross border partnerships in general. If you have already studied the immigration rules page on the uklgig website, but still have unanswered questions, post them here or in the EU/EEA forum below.

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

szrobi

Fiance visa - success

Post by szrobi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

After two long months my partner received his visa – thanks for this group and page for all information shared. Here is our experience as it may help others in the future:

Type: fiancé/proposed civil partner, non-priority
Applied/biometrics: 23-January
ECO assigned: 21-March
Decision: 23-March
VC: Sao Paulo/Brazil (Bogota visa centre)

1. Online application form
2. VAF4A

Genuine subsisting relationship
3. Whatsup/Skype message statistics (number of message) from the period away
4. Skype screenshots (~ 30 pages)
5. Facebook screenshots – tags, photos, check-ins (~10 pages)
6. Photos together and with friends/family (~5 pages)
7. Flight tickets when we meet and spent time together in the UK
8. Flight/train tickets of holidays together
9. Cinema and theatre tickets (some correspond to Facebook check ins)
10. Letter from a close friend and from my sister (how they see us as a couple) and their certified passport copies
11. Landlord’s consent about my partner staying with me for 6 months in the UK
12. Personal statement from me (sponsor) about our relationship and the plans (3 pages)
13. Personal statement from my partner, similar content – with certified translation (3 pages); my partner felt more confident to express himself in Portuguese
14. My partner’s English language school papers and school tests to prove that we can communicate (intermediate level)

I found this useful:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -FM2.1.pdf

Intention to marry
15. Invoice of rings
16. Inquiry and provisional reservation of wedding venue and query about reception
17. Mail exchange with the designated registry office about timing and appointment process.

Also note, our personal statements clearly said we want to marry, inc. the date and the place. After submission I got worried that nor enough docs were attached, reception booking – plans – budget I think better to attach them. Several other evidence (e.g. correspondence with the landlord, friend/sister’s letter) indicated that we want to marry and live together.

Accommodation:
18. My tenancy agreement
19. My landlord’s consent to add my partner as co-tenant (subject to visa received)
20. Property inspection report (£100 and confirms that the property is not overcrowded, not in bad shape etc.)

Financials:
21. Official letter from my employer
22. payslips stamped by employer (6 months)
23. bank statements stamped by the bank(6 months)
24. Sponsorship undertaking form (not sure if it is use/required– it did not hurt)
25. My (sponsor) certified passport copy.

English language:
26. Trinity college certificate

Other docs/various:
27. join credit card statement with his name
28. prepaid card print out with his name
29. council tax under our both names
30. as he had a self-paid GP visit here in London, attached the invoice/payment slip
We stated in the forms that “no shared financial responsibility” and “no marriage-a-kin living together”. All these were created when he spent 6 months in the UK before application.

Some other info we had clarified before submission:
- applicant should be in the country of residence at the moment of submitting the application in the online form (so not print out the final form before he leaves the UK)
- online form help/instruction is not really good, “You” may refer to the applicant or the sponsor – depending on the section
- selecting fiancé as same sex (we choose to have wedding not CP) is a bit tricky, but possible online
- no health surcharge for the 6 months period fiancé/proposed CP visa
Last edited by szrobi on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lelaki

Re: Fiance visa - success

Post by Lelaki » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi,

You mention about WhatsApp stats how did you present this as having downloaded the messages between my fiancé and I it is in excess of 1000 pages! In fact its over the limit WhatsApp allows to be exported so over 40,000 messages...

Also you mention a property inspection report where did you arrange this?

Wasn't aware we had to put copies of passports for those who write letters for us. My sister doesn't have a valid passport anymore...

Thanks for your information very helpful

Cheers

Paul

szrobi

Post by szrobi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 am

Re. Whatsup - I sent the log to an email address, imported to excel and presented the number of lines per month (pivot table). In addition we submitted screenshots (skype) but those are samples only, not all messages.

Re. Property inspection report - google search and found several company offering it at my location, some of them even have next day service.

Re. Passport copy - driving livence or some other fom of ID should be good too, I thought it helps to prove that the person signing the letter is real and takes responsibility.

Lelaki

Post by Lelaki » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Best brush up on my Excel skills as that seems a good way to show it.

Thanks for your response, appreciated

Paul

steveck79

Post by steveck79 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

szrobi wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 am
Re. Whatsup - I sent the log to an email address, imported to excel and presented the number of lines per month (pivot table). In addition we submitted screenshots (skype) but those are samples only, not all messages.

Re. Property inspection report - google search and found several company offering it at my location, some of them even have next day service.

Re. Passport copy - driving livence or some other fom of ID should be good too, I thought it helps to prove that the person signing the letter is real and takes responsibility.
Hi

Sorry to drag this up so many months after the original post but so little new stuff appears on this forum.

Re the whatsapp messages; this might sound silly but it's a legitimate part of a distance relationship.... Did you leave message detail in place? I worry about intimate content that is quite frankly a step too far for anyone else to be reading beyond sentimental affection!

Lelaki

Post by Lelaki » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi,

Yes I included samples of convos over three years not the end to end record.

I included screenshots from mobile of important convos, birthday wishes, holiday planning, wedding planning, engagement etc...

Then supplied a pivot table detailing messages per month for last three years, just headline figures not detailed convos to give a feel for how much we communicate via the app andthat its sustained over the period.

Thanks

Paul

pandoo

Post by pandoo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello Szrobi,

Very useful information. Thank you. Can I ask for a small favor, would it be possible to share letters from close friends or suggest the formatting please. Me & my girlfriend are in the same boat at the moment trying to apply for her visa.

Thanks a lot for your time.

kajola

Post by kajola » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi

take a look at this link from this site regrading letters, to get an idea of the format/information to include

https://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=1000#sup ... and-family

thanks

KathrynEssex

Timing of Fiance visa application?

Post by KathrynEssex » Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm

It's so good to read your story! My fiance and I are at the beginning of our visa application process at the moment so we're trying to get all of the documents together (your list of documents is so helpful!) We're trying to work out the timing as well as she wants to be in Argentina for her cousins Graduation in December and then fly to join me the UK.

Do you know if the 6 months start on entry to the UK, or the 6 months start from when you receive the visa? Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Willco58

Post by Willco58 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi KathrynEssex
The visa starts from the date it is approved, in your passport.